Tomato and Corn Pie with Fresh Basil
From a Chef's Kitchen
Tomato and Corn Pie with Fresh Basil is the ultimate Southern-inspired summertime quiche!
- 1 prepared pie crust, homemade or purchased
- 5 small tomatoes such as Roma (about 1 pound), sliced approximately 1/4-inch thick
- 0.33333333333333 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 3 scallions, white and light green part only
- 8 large leaves fresh basil, torn into 1/2-inch pieces plus more for garnish
- 1.25 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cups half-and-half
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a purchased crust, roll it out to flatten it slightly. Place in a 9 or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan. Press the pie crust securely against the pie pan including securing the edge of the crust to the rim of the pie pan. Dock the bottom in a few places with a fork. Place a large piece of parchment over and up the sides and fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- While the crust is baking, line a baking sheet with paper towels. Generously season the tomato slices with salt. Place on the paper towels to absorb the excess liquid that is drawn out by the salt. Before assembling, blot the tomatoes dry with paper towels.
- Remove parchment and weights and allow to cool 20 minutes.
- Combine cheese and flour and sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the crust. Top with 1/3 of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with half the corn and scallion, basil and cheddar cheese. Repeat layering again, finishing with a layer of tomatoes on the top.
- Whisk together eggs and half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Carefully pour the custard over the filling.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set and top is lightly browned. (Keep an eye on the crust. You may need to make a foil collar to keep it from getting overly browned.) Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with torn basil leaves.