Wild Rice Salad with dried Cranberries and Pecans
A colorful and festive looking Wild Rice Salad with dried Cherries and Pecans. It is a great addition to the holiday buffet table or as a filling weeknight meal.
- 1 cup Wild Rice
- 2 cups brown rice (Long grain (I used brown basmati))
- 1 leek (Large , finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (, finely minced)
- 1 carrot (Large , peeled and diced)
- 1 turnip (Medium , peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp thyme (Fresh , chopped)
- ½ cup cherries (Dried)
- ⅔ cup Pecans (, toasted and chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- to taste Salt Pepper (&)
- 3 green onions (, chopped)
- Cook Wild Rice: Thoroughly rinse and drain wild rice. Bring 4cups of water to a boil, add rice along with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain the excess water, fluff the rice and keep aside.
- Cook Brown Rice: Combine rice and 3cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25~30 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan, add leeks, garlic and thyme. Cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Next add carrot, turnip, salt and pepper. Cover and cook till the veggies are tender, about 6~8 minutes.
- Add dried cherries, toasted pecans, wild rice and brown rice. Check and adjust the seasoning. Cover and cook for 3~4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Sprinkle the chopped green onions on top and serve warm or at room temperature.