Wild Rice Salad with dried Cranberries and Pecans
A colorful and festive looking Wild Rice Salad with dried Cherries and Pecans. It is a great addition to the holiday buffet table or as a filling weeknight meal.
- 1 cup Wild Rice
- 2 cups brown rice (Long grain (I used brown basmati))
- 1 leek (Large , finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (, finely minced)
- 1 carrot (Large , peeled and diced)
- 1 turnip (Medium , peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp thyme (Fresh , chopped)
- ½ cup cherries (Dried)
- ⅔ cup Pecans (, toasted and chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- to taste Salt Pepper (&)
- 3 onions (, chopped)
- Cook Wild Rice: Thoroughly rinse and drain wild rice. Bring 4cups of water to a boil, add rice along with salt to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain the excess water, fluff the rice and keep aside.
- Cook Brown Rice: Combine rice and 3cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25~30 minutes.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan, add leeks, garlic and thyme. Cook for 3~4 minutes.
- Next add carrot, turnip, salt and pepper. Cover and cook till the veggies are tender, about 6~8 minutes.
- Add dried cherries, toasted pecans, wild rice and brown rice. Check and adjust the seasoning. Cover and cook for 3~4 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Sprinkle the chopped green onions on top and serve warm or at room temperature.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout