Winter Black Rice Salad
The View From the Great Island
Black Rice Salad with Roasted Vegetables ~ this clean-out-the-fridge salad can be changed up in countless ways depending on what you have around...and it's proof that leftovers don't have to be boring!
- 1 cup raw black rice ( or 2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 sweet potato, (peeled and cut in a small diced)
- 2 small blue potatoes (peeled and cut in a small diced)
- 1 cup Brussels Sprouts (trimmed and halved)
- 2 medium beets, cooked (peeled and cut in a small diced)
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tangerines (peeled and sectioned)
- ½ cup toasted hazelnuts (chopped)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered )
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp pomegranate vinegar (or another red vinegar)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- ½ tsp allspice
- pinch salt
- crumbled feta or goat cheese
- mint leaves
- Set the oven to 375F
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Taste to adjust anything.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. I like to cook it just until it's tender but still has a bite to it, so check it before the allotted time. Put it in a large bowl to cool.
- Toss the sweet potato and the blue potatoes in a little olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet. Do the same with the Brussels sprouts on another sheet and roast for about 15 minutes or until just tender and starting to caramelize. The Brussels sprouts may take longer.
- Toss the rice with half of the dressing to moisten. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss with the rest of the dressing. Top with cheese crumbles and add salt and pepper to taste.