Spinach - Artichoke Squares
From a Chef's Kitchen
Spinach Artichoke Squares are a delicious low-carb spin on classic spinach artichoke dip!
- nonstick cooking spray or olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 2 cans (14-ounce) artichoke hearts, drained and squeezed of excess water (may also use frozen artichok
- 1 package (10-ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
- 1 bunch scallions (white and light green part only) (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- 0.5 cup mascarpone cheese or 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 0.5 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray or lightly coat with oil. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of the baking dish with the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Coarsely chop the artichoke hearts.
- Combine the artichoke hearts, spinach, scallions, garlic and cheese in a bowl. Spoon evenly into prepared baking dish being careful not to disturb the breadcrumbs.
- Whisk together eggs, mayonnaise, mascarpone or cream cheese, half-and-half (or milk), salt and black pepper. Pour over spinach - artichoke mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Cut into small squares, arrange on platter, garnish if desired and serve.