4 Alarm Mac & Cheese
The View From the Great Island
4 Alarm Macaroni and Cheese takes comfort food a little kick in the pants...
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, seeds and all
- 8-10 ounces jalapeno jack cheese
- more chopped jalapeno or a few slices
- Set oven to 325F
- Cook the macaroni to just al dente. I usually cook it a few minutes LESS than what the package says. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter and add the flour. Stir to combine and cook for a minute. Add the milk and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until it thickens. This will happen just as the mixture comes close to a simmer. Take off the heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Set aside about 1/2 cup of the grated cheese for the topping. Slowly add in the rest of the cheese and jalapenos, stirring until smooth. Stir in the pasta and mix well.
- Spoon into individual oven safe serving bowls, or into a skillet or casserole. Put that on a baking sheet to catch any possible drips.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then remove and top with the remaining cheese. Put back under the broiler just until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Serve right away garnished with jalapeno slices.