The View From the Great Island
Apricot Turnovers are elegant, delicious, and super easy to put together using frozen puff pastry dough.
- 1 sheet ready to bake puff pastry
- 4 or 5 apricots, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten with a tablespoon of water
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Set the oven to 400F
- Toss the apricot slices with the cornstarch, sugar, almond extract and lemon juice until everything is well combined and there are no lumps of cornstarch left. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Put the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and gently roll out to an 11x11 inch square.
- Cut the pastry into four squares.
- Spoon a little of the apricots onto the center of each square. Gently pull one side over into a triangle, gently stretching it over the fruit. Use a fork to press along the edges to seal.
- Brush each turnover lightly with the egg wash, and then cut a couple of small slits in the top with a sharp paring knife.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 20 minutes, or until the turnovers are risen and golden brown.
- Cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar if you want to, and then enjoy right away.