The View From the Great Island
Bacon Brittle is the ultimate homemade candy, and can be made entirely in the microwave in minutes!
- 0.5 lb bacon, cooked until crisp, cooled, and chopped or crumbled, to make about 1 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup light corn syrup
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp butter
- Set oven to lowest setting
- Get everything ready before you begin. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a silpat mat, or use nonstick foil. If you have neither of those, lightly butter the pan itself. Set the pan in the oven to warm while you make the candy.
- Measure out 1 cup of crumbled bacon and set aside. Measure the butter and the baking soda and set aside. Butter a spatula or spreader and set aside. You will also need a spoon for stirring, I like to use a silicone spoonula like these.
- Put the sugar and corn syrup in a large microwave safe bowl and stir together.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes, then remove and stir well. I like to use a silicone spoonula.
- Microwave another 3 minutes and then add the butter and stir again.
- Microwave for 2 more minutes, then remove, stir in the bacon and baking soda.
- Immediately pour the hot mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it out thinly with a spatula. The warmth of the pan will give you a little time here, so smooth it out evenly and thinly.
- let sit until completely cooled and set, about 30 minutes.
- Use a knife to crack the brittle into pieces.