Banana Cake with Nutella Buttercream
The View From the Great Island
Banana Cake with Nutella Buttercream ~ a fabulously moist banana cake made with toasted hazelnuts and topped with a thick layer of chocolatey hazelnut buttercream ~ oooh la la!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 0.5 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 0.5 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 0.5 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts (measure before grinding) finely ground
- nutella Buttercream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 13-oz jar of Nutella
- 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 4 to 6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Set the oven to 350F
- To toast the hazelnuts, spread them out on a dry baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes the preheated oven. Let them cool, and grind in a food processor until finely ground. You could also use ready made hazelnut meal, which Trader Joe’s sometimes carries, as well as Whole Foods. You could also substitute walnuts.
- Cream the bananas and sugars together until smooth and fluffy, then add the rest of the wet ingredients and beat until well mixed.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and add to the wet, mixing until just thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch springform pan. Bake for about 55 -60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out moist but does not have wet batter clinging to it.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove the cake from the pan and continue to cool.
- Frost the cool cake with Nutella Buttercream.
- For the Buttercream:
- Cream the butter and add the Nutella, sugar, and cream. Beat until smooth and spreadable. Add a little more cream or a little more sugar if necessary to get a good consistency.
- Spread over the top of the cooled cake and enjoy!