Chai Spiced Cocoa
The View From the Great Island
Chai Spiced Cocoa~ a classic thick hot cocoa enriched with the warming spices of chai tea! This thick hot chocolate will warm you up on the coldest day!
- 5 cups whole milk
- 4 tbsp dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 0.5 tsp cornstarch
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in 2 pieces
- 6 whole cloves
- 0.5 tsp white peppercorns
- 0.5 tsp whole allspice
- 0.25 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 3 thin slices fresh ginger
- a used vanilla bean
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and put over low heat.
- Mix the cocoa, sugar, and cornstarch with a little water to make a loose paste. Pour the paste into the milk and stir or whisk to combine.
- Add the whole spices and let the cocoa slowly heat until it just comes to a simmer. The longer you let it steep, the stronger the spice flavor will be.
- Strain into large mugs and serve with whipped cream. Garnish with a star anise if you like.