Chicken in Almond Milk
The View From the Great Island
Chicken in Almond Milk, this unique roasted chicken recipe is the brain child of Jamie Oliver, you need to taste it for yourself to believe how tender it is!
- whole fryer chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 green lemons, (or regular lemons) 2 of them zested, then all cut in quarters
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1 handful fresh sage
- 1 head of garlic, smashed to release the cloves, and remove just the papery outer skin
- 2 cups almond milk
- salt and pepper
- Set the oven to 375F
- Remove any gibbets from inside the chicken and discard. Rub it down liberally salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Insert 2 of the cut lemons, the ones that were zested, into the cavity. Tie the legs together if you like.
- Get a pot big enough to hold the chicken, I used enameled cast iron, and heat it on the stove over medium high heat. Coat the bottom with olive oil. When the pan is hot, brown the chicken on all sides. Take your time, and wait for each side to get nice and brown before attempting to turn it.
- Return the chicken to an upright position, (breast up) and add the rest of the ingredients to the pot.
- Cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours, basting occasionally. Remove the cover after the first hour.
- That's it! Remove the chicken and carefully slice or pull of the meat. Serve with a little of the pan juices. The meat will be tender and will have absorbed all of the flavors.