Chicken, Spinach and Artichoke Cannelloni
From a Chef's Kitchen
Chicken, Spinach and Artichoke Cannelloni is elegant enough for a special dinner for two and you don't even need to boil the pasta!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 6 flat no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 8 frozen artichoke hearts (about 1/2 cup), thawed, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast half (about 1 cup), cooked and diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese with chives and onions (1/2 of an 8-ounce container)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0.75 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 0.5 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. Fill a shallow pan with hot tap water. Soak the lasagna noodles until pliable while preparing the filling. When pliable, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe container and add 1-2 tablespoons water. Microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until wilted. Drain, cool, squeeze out any excess water and coarsely chop. Combine spinach, artichoke hearts, chicken, cream cheese, garlic, 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened. Stir in salt and pepper, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and a pinch of nutmeg. Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Place even amounts of the chicken filling on one of the short sides of the lasagna noodles. Roll up and arrange in a row on the bechamel sauce. Pour remaining sauce over the cannelloni. Sprinkle remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan over the top.\
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and sauce is bubbling.