Chilled Beet Soup
The View From the Great Island
Chilled Beet Soup ~ Cold soups are fun in the summer, especially if you are entertaining and need something that can be made ahead.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow or white onion (chopped)
- 1 small potato (peeled and chopped)
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery (sliced)
- 3 medium Beets
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- fresh cracked pepper
- juice of lemon
- 1 cup heavy cream, Greek yogurt, half and half, or creme fraiche; use enough to bring out a bright fuchsia
- for garnish
- a dollop of sour cream
- a sprig of mint or dill
- Melt the butter and oil in a heavy pot and saute all the vegetables for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add in the stock.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 1/2 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Take off the heat and season with the salt, pepper and lemon.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or processor. Strain through a mesh strainer to catch any stray chunks.
- Stir in the cream, yogurt, or creme fraiche. Chill for several hours and then served garnished with the sour cream, mint, or dill.