Hazelnut Fig Seeded Crisps
The View From the Great Island
Hazelnut Fig Seeded Crisps ~ these homemade crackers are just as crisp and delicious as the pricey story bought version, and perfect with cheese!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup sesame seeds1/4 cup peptias
- ¼ cup millet seeds
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 cup dried figs (rough chopped)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- Set oven to 350F
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk and honey. Mix well. (The batter will be thin)
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
- Cool on a rack.
- When cool, wrap the loaf in foil and pop in the freezer for an hour to an hour and a half to firm it up for slicing. You can also freeze the loaf at this stage and slice and bake it at a later date.
- Slice as thinly as you can, using a very sharp serrated bread knife. The thinner you are able to slice the loaf the crisper your crackers will be. Lay the slices out on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 300, for about 15 minutes, then flip over and bake another 15 minutes, until the crackers are a rich brown and crisp on both sides.