Hibiscus Lemon Bars
The View From the Great Island
These Hibiscus Lemon Bars are insanely good --- imagine tangy lemon married with the bright berry flavor of hibiscus --- can you say vitamin C?
makes 9 large or 16 small bars
- 0.5 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 0.5 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried hibiscus or hibiscus tea
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 0.5 cup flour
- confectioner's sugar
- Set oven to 350F
- Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla together. I did this in my stand mixer. Add in the flour and salt, and mix just until combined. Press the dough into a 9x9 baking pan. I lightly flour my fingers so they don't stick to the dough. Press it evenly across the bottom of the pan. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes until it is just lightly browned. Set it aside to cool, but leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Stir the hibiscus into the lemon juice and let sit for 15 minutes until it is a dark pink color. Then strain it and discard the hibiscus.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until well blended. Stir in the lemon juice and then blend in the flour.
- Pour the filling over the crust and return to the oven to bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the center of the filling is set and not jiggly.
- Let cool fully before slicing. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.