Homemade Allspice Dram
The View From the Great Island
Homemade Allspice Dram is an essential ingredient in the best Fall cocktails, and now you can make it yourself, right at home!
- ⅛ cup whole allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup rum (you can use light or dark, I used dark)
- 1½ cups water
- ⅔ tbsp brown sugar
- Crush the allspice berries in a spice grinder, or with a mortar and pestle. You want them roughly cracked and crushed, don't grind them into a powder.
- Put the allspice in a sealable glass jar, a mason jar is perfect.
- Pour the rum in the jar, put the lid on, and give it a shake.
- Let the rum sit for a day, then break up the the cinnamon stick and add it to the jar.
- After 2 days, strain out the rum with a fine mesh strainer. Then put it through a coffee filter to filter out the smaller particles.
- Meanwhile, bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. Let cool, then mix into the infused rum. Pour into your final bottle* and let rest for 2 days before using.