The View From the Great Island
Creamy homemade mascarpone cheese is easy and fun to make right in your own kitchen --- use it in all sorts of recipes, both sweet and savory!
- 2 cups heavy cream (non-ultra-pasteurized is preferable)
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Pour the cream into a small heavy bottomed pot and heat on medium until it reaches 190 degrees on a candy thermometer. Heat the cream gently so it doesn't scorch.
- Add the lemon juice, and keep the cream at 190F for another 5 minutes, stirring gently. I found it easiest to keep moving the pot on and off the flame to maintain the temperature. The cream will thicken and coat the back of the spoon.
- Let the cream cool to room temperature, which will take about half an hour.
- Line a mesh strainer with several layers of cheesecloth, and set that over a bowl to catch the dripping whey. Pour the cream into the cheesecloth. Cover loosely with plastic and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Remove the cheese from the cheesecloth and keep in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Plan to use the cheese within a week or so.