How to Make Homemade Fruit Liqueur
The View From the Great Island
How to Make Homemade Fruit Liqueur - with this special technique you can make a vibrant fresh fruit liqueur that is ready to drink in 24 hours!
makes approximately 21/4 cups liqueur
- ½ lb (8 ounces) fruit (choose strawberries, apricots, rhubarb, pluots, white peaches, or a fruit of your
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2½ cups vodka
- Start with clean fruit. Depending on what fruit you are using, hull the berries, pit the stone fruit, or trim rough ends from the rhubarb. Do not peel stone fruit, much flavor and color comes from the skins.
- Chop the fruit into bite sized pieces and add to a saucepan, along with the sugar. Add 1/4 cup water, and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. If your fruit is dry you may need to add a bit more water. Cook for about 5 minutes, just enough to soften the fruit.
- Puree the fruit with an immersion blender.
- Add the fruit puree to the vodka and give it a stir. Let sit, covered, for 24 hours.
- Strain through a nut bag, or several layers of cheesecloth, squeezing to get all the liquid out. Discard the solids.
- Keep the liqueur in the refrigerator until needed.