How to Make the Perfect Salad Nicoise
The View From the Great Island
How to Make the Perfect Salad Niçoise ~ a Nicoise salad is a healthy, colorful and protein packed main course tuna salad that can be made all year long.
- 1 small head of crisp lettuce, your choice, rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 tbsp fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 cup white beans, either navy or cannellini (drained and rinsed)
- 1 persian cucumber
- handful baby carrots, raw
- 1 cup baby purple potatoes, cooked and halved
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes (halved)
- about 6 baby radishes
- handful green beans, preferably French, lightly steamed
- 2-3 hard cooked eggs (halved)
- 0.33333333333333 cup Bird Beak peppers
- 0.33333333333333 cup black olives, your choice, I used oil cured
- 1-2 cans Genova Albacore Tuna in olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if you like.
- Put the lettuce in a wide shallow salad bowl or platter and arrange the tarragon leaves over the lettuce.
- Toss the beans with a little of the dressing, and some of the fresh dill. Pile the beans into a heap on the edge of the salad, leaving the center free for the tuna.
- Arrange the cucumber slices and carrots in little piles next to the beans.
- Toss the potatoes with a little of the dressing and dill, and add them to the salad. Arrange the tomatoes, radishes, green beans, eggs, peppers, and olives in a similar manner all around the edge of the platter.
- Put the tuna in the center of the salad and top with the capers. Scatter the fresh dill over all.
- Drizzle with the dressing just before serving. Add salt and pepper to taste.