How to Make the Perfect Holiday Cheese Board
The View From the Great Island
How to Make the Ultimate Cheese Board ~ an easy meat and cheese charcuterie platter ideal for busy holiday entertaining ~ it's the perfect party appetizer
- 0.5 pound of 6 different cheeses, get a mix of creamy (like Brie) aged (like Manchego) Blue, goat, and somethi
- 0.25 pound smoked ham, rolled
- 0.25 pound thinly sliced salami
- 1 log of dry salami or summer sausage
- 0.25 pound prosciutto, rolled
- 0.5 pound mixed olives
- 10 ounce tub of prepared hummus
- baby carrots and snap peas for dipping
- about a cup of dried apricots ( use cranberries or cherries as well)
- 1 cup marinated feta
- 1 cup marinated sun dried tomatoes
- 2-3 types of fresh fruit such as a ripe pear, apples, pomegranate, grapes, tangerines, figs, etc.
- nuts, either raw or salted and roasted, I used almonds, hazelnuts, and cashews
- dijon or honey mustard
- wine jelly, hot pepper jelly, honey, fig jam, or other condiment of your choice
- 3-4 types of crackers or sliced baguette
- Arrange your cheeses first, providing a cheese knife or spreader with each. Lay down a small piece of parchment or waxed paper underneath the cheese if you like.
- Add the sliced meats, rolling some of them if you like, along with the hummus and veggies.
- Fill in the spaces with your dried and fresh fruit, olives, nuts, etc. Be sure to include a spoon or knife with each condiment like mustard that you use.
- Set out your cheese an hour ahead of time to give it a chance to come to room temperature. Cover everything loosely with plastic so nothing dries out.