Jamaican Jerk Spiced Nuts
The View From the Great Island
Jamaican Jerk Spiced Nuts is a fun and festive appetizer with a intriguing combination of flavors ~ and it's so easy to make!
- 5 cups mixed raw nuts
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- juice of lemon
- 1 tbsp ground dried red peppers
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1.5 tsp smoked sea salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 0.25 tsp ground ginger
- 0.25 tsp ground cloves
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- Put the nuts in a large skillet and roast them for about 15 minutes over medium heat. Stir them often, and shake the pan gently. After about 10 minutes you should start to see a hint of color on the nuts. You will hear the crackle of skins crisping, and begin to smell the aroma. Continue roasting for another 5 minutes, being extra careful not to let them burn. Don't walk away, nuts can burn in an instant.
- Gently transfer the nuts onto a baking sheet.
- In the same pan, add the oil, sugar and lemon juice. Heat until sizzling, and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the nuts and the rest of the spices back into the pan and continue to roast for a few more minutes, stirring to combine everything. When the nuts have absorbed all the liquids, transfer them to a parchment lined baking sheet and spread them out to cool.
- After they have cooled you can store them in an airtight container.
- Just before serving, heat the nuts on a dry baking sheet at 300F for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.