Lemon Soup with Chicken and Israeli Couscous
The View From the Great Island
Lemon Soup with Chicken and Israeli Couscous ~ this soup is based on Greek avgolemono soup, it's thickened with egg yolks and the flavor is brilliant!
serves 4-6 depending on portion sze
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 large egg yolks
- 0.33333333333333 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked Israeli couscous
- mint leaves, or any other small herb
- lemon wedges
- Heat the water and broth to a boil in a soup pot.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl.
- Take a cup of the hot stock and slowly drizzle it into the egg yolks, while you are continuously whisking. This will 'temper' the eggs so they won't scramble when they mix with the hot soup.
- Then, with the heat lowered to medium, slowly whisk the eggs into the soup in the pot, whisking or stirring the whole time.
- Cook the soup over medium for about 5 minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Add the chicken, lemon juice, and the couscous and stir to heat through. Salt to taste.
- Serve with a sprig of mint an a good grinding of black pepper. I also like to serve lemon wedges alongside so you can get an extra burst of lemon flavor if you like.