Microwave Dried Herbs
The View From the Great Island
I'll show you exactly how to dry herbs in the microwave, it's quick, easy and a lot of fun! --- The microwave preserves color and flavor like no other method, and in minutes you can have months' worth of herbs ready to go.
- fresh herbs
- plain paper or parchment paper
- Make sure your herbs are clean and completely DRY.
- Working with one herb at a time, lay them out in a single layer on a piece of paper that will fit in your microwave. If possible, remove the leaves from the stems.
- Microwave on full power for anywhere from 30 - 90 seconds, depending on your herbs and your particular microwave. (see chart above)
- Check the herbs and if they feel crisp they are done, but if they feel soft, microwave them for a few more seconds. Don't over-do it or they will turn brown and burn.
- Let the dried herbs cool down and then crush them with clean hands, and package them in small jars or plastic bags.
- Store in a cool dark place and use within 6 months.