Minimal Monday: Chimichurri Sauce
The View From the Great Island
Chimichurri Sauce is a glorious, garlicky herb sauce meant for slathering over grilled meats. It's the Argentinian version of a pesto, and it's fabulous!
makes about 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup parsley leaves, be sure to remove most of the stems and rinse well
- 0.5 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 0.5 cup olive oil
- juice of 1/2 large lime
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 0.5 tsp red chili flakes
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Drop the garlic, salt and shallot into a small food processor and process until finely minced. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in the processor and pulse/process until the herbs are finely minced. Scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Let the sauce rest in the refrigerator for an hour or two before using. If the sauce becomes too thick, thin it down with more olive oil.