Minimal Monday: Grapefruit and Roasted Beet Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
The View From the Great Island
This healthy and colorful Grapefruit and Roasted Beet Salad is a celebration of winter!
- mixed beets
- ruby red, pink, or mixed grapefruit sections
- thinly sliced red onion for garnish
- lime zest for garnish
- 2 large limes
- zest of one lime
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 425F
- Roast the beets. (You can do this ahead) Cut off the leafy greens from the beets. Scrub them and put them on a dry baking sheet. Roast until a small sharp knife pierces them easily. Depending on the size of your beets, this may take an hour to an hour and a half.
- Remove the beets from the oven and when they are cool enough to handle, slip off their skins. If you have trouble, use a serrated vegetable peeler.
- If doing ahead, refrigerate the beets until ready to use.
- Slice, quarter, or chop the beets, but keep the dark red ones separate so they don't bleed color on the others.
- Arrange the beets on individual plates along with the grapefruit. Top with thinly sliced red onion. Just before serving, drizzle with the Lime Vinaigrette, and garnish with a little lime zest.
- To make the vinaigrette, juice the limes, and slowly drizzle in good olive oil, while you whisk it. Add a drop of honey, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in the zest and taste to adjust any of the ingredients to your liking.