One Hour No Sugar Apple Butter
The View From the Great Island
1 Hour No Sugar Apple Butter ~ this healthy fruit butter has the flavor of fresh apples with just a hint of spice, and best of all, it's ready in an hour!
makes about a pint
- 4 lbs apples (about 8 large) peeled, cored, and chopped
- 0.5 cup cider
- juice of lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 allspice berries
- Put the apples and cider in a large heavy bottomed pot.
- Tie the whole spices up in a cheesecloth bundle and add them to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the spice sack, and puree the apples in a high speed blender or food processor. Work in batches, if necessary.
- Return the puree to the rinsed out pot, and continue to cook for 10 to 15 more minutes, stirring often, until thick. I add the spice sack back in at this stage. Note: the butter will sputter quite a bit, so covering the pot with a splatter screen helps. The butter is done when you can drag your spoon across the bottom of the pan and leave a trail without any liquid filling it in.
- Remove the spice sack, and fill a jar or jars. Let cool before capping and refrigerating. Plan to consume within 2 weeks, or freeze for longer storage.