From a Chef's Kitchen
Ramps, also known as wild leeks are only available in the spring. Pickling is a way to preserve this wonderful foraged goodness for a little while longer!
- 1 pound ramps
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 0.25 cup salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Trim the tops from the ramps and reserve for another use. Pack the ramps into a wide-mouth jar with lid.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking until sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- Pour hot brine over ramps, pushing them down so they are covered by the brine.
- Place the lid on the jar and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 weeks before consuming.