Pickled Red Onions
The View From the Great Island
Pickled red onions are a simple easy refrigerator pickle project to add to your repertoire ~ they're not only beautiful, they're a workhorse when it comes to jazzing up lots of different kinds of foods!
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp multicolor peppercorns
- ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- i jalapeno or Serrano pepper, sliced, seeds and all
- Peel and thinly slice the onions. I used my mandoline slicer for this as it does a nice, even job.
- Put the vinegar, water, and all the spices in a small pan and bring up to a simmer. Take off the heat, and add the onions and hot pepper. Mix well.
- Place the onions in a mason jar and pour the liquid over them. Make sure the liquid covers the onions. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for a month.