Pineapple Habanero Jam
The View From the Great Island
Pineapple Habanero Jam --- the heat and sweet will duke it out in your mouth, and cheese and crackers will never be the same again!
- 1 pineapple
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 - 3 habanero peppers
- Cut the top off the pinapple and then run a sharp knife along the rind to peel it. Slice the pineapple, core and all, and then chop it.
- Put the pineapple and juice in a pot.
- Trim the stem end off the habanero pepper(s) and give them a rough chop, and add them to the pot, seeds and all.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down and boil for about 20 minutes, stirring often, until the pineapple has softened.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the pineapple mixture. You don't have to get it completely smooth, just be sure to get all of the large chunks blended.
- Cook another 20 minutes or so, until thickened. Stir often so the jam doesn't scorch.
- Spoon the jam into a clean jar and let cool to room temperature. Then cap and refrigerate.
- The jam should keep for at least 10 days in the refrigerator.