Preserved kumquats made at home
- 1 kg kumquats
- 750 g sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 4 cardamom pods (optional)
- Fill a big pot with water and add the kumquats. Let them sit in water for the night.
- The next day, drain the kumquats, refill the big pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the kumquats and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the water, rinse under fresh water and set aside.
- Discard the boiling water, add fresh water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the kumquats and cook again for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times.
- Then, let the kumquats cool slightly, and pierce them with a toothpick or a fork.
- Put the kumquats, sugar, and water in the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let them simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the syrup starts to thicken.
- Make sure to remove the foam that forms while cooking.
- Pour the jam into sterilized jars and save it for up to 1 year.