Quick Pickled Brussels Sprouts with Jalapeno
From a Chef's Kitchen
Quick Pickled Brussels Sprouts with Jalapeno are the perfect accompaniment to anything you're serving this holiday season!
- salt for cooking water plus more for brine
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts,
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 3 jalapeno peppers (sliced)
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- Prepare an ice bath. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook 2 to 3 minutes (longer if you want them softer). Transfer to the ice bath to cool.
- Combine water, vinegar, peppercorns, mustard seeds and 2-3 tablespoons salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until the salt dissolves. Taste the brine and if desired, add a small amount of sugar.
- Drain Brussels sprouts and place in a tall, clean jar. Add the jalapeno, garlic and bay leaves. Carefully pour the hot brine over the Brussels sprouts. (You may have some brine leftover.
- Cool to room temperature. Cover and place in the refrigerator 5 days before serving. Store refrigerated up to a month.