Quick Rainbow Giardiniera
The View From the Great Island
My Quick Rainbow Giardiniera is a colorful riff on the classic Italian relish ~ Enjoy these pickled vegetables as a healthy snack, side dish, or appetizer.
- cauliflower florets, white, purple, or orange
- rainbow carrot slices
- watermelon radishes (thinly sliced)
- sweet peppers, cut in bite sized chunks
- rainbow chard stems, sliced lengthwise
- snap peas
- jalepeño peppers (sliced)
- 1½ cups white vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tbsp pickling spices
- 2 bay leaves
- Fit your vegetables into a large mason jar, or jars. Fit them in as tightly as you can.
- Heat the vinegar, water, and spices in a small saucepan just until it comes to a simmer. Let the mixture cool slightly, then pour over the vegetables, making sure to cover them completely with liquid.
- Let cool to room temperature, then cap and refrigerate for 24 hours before enjoying. Will keep up to a month in the refrigerator as long as the vegetables are submerged in the brine.