Quick Whole Grain Oat Rolls
The View From the Great Island
These healthy and delicious Quick Whole Grain Oat Rolls can be made, from start to finish, in about an hour ~ pinky swear!
- 1½ packets (3 1/2 tsp) dry active yeast
- ¾ cup Lukewarm Water (between 105F and 115F)
- ⅛ cup sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- more melted butter for brushing after baking
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, put the water, sugar and yeast. Stir to combine and let sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, mix the flours and salt together and set aside.
- Melt the butter, then add the milk and heat gently to about 110F. You can do this in a saucepan or in the microwave, but use a digital thermometer to be accurate. If it gets too hot, let it cool to the correct temperature.
- When cooled, pour the warm milk and butter into the bowl with the yeast, and then add about 2 1/2 cups of the flour. Turn on the mixer and mix for about a minute. While the mixer is going, gradually add in enough of the rest of the flour to form a soft dough--- it will start to come away from the side of the bowl. Let the mixer knead the dough on low for about 2 more minutes. It will be elastic and a little sticky.
- Take the dough a put it in an oiled bowl, turning the dough to completely coat with oil. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set in a warm place to rise, about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and divide into thirds, then divide the thirds into three parts, for a total of 9 rolls.
- Take each piece of dough and form a ball in your hand, stretching corners around to the back and giving them a twist. The top should be domed and rounded. Set each roll in a buttered square baking dish. Cover the dish with a towel and set in a warm place to rise, about 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 while the rolls rise. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the pan and set on a rack. Brush with melted butter immediately, and sprinkle on a few oats for garnish if you like.