Reader’s Recipes: Almond Lace Wafers
The View From the Great Island
Almond Lace Wafers are a classic Scandinavian rolled holiday cookie and they have a wonderful toffee-like flavor and crunch.
makes about 27 cookies
- ¾ cup grated un-blanched almonds (use blender, nut grater, or food processor - do not
- grind into powder, but leave a bit crunchy)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp flour (use a gluten free flour mix, or oat flour if you like)
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- Set oven to 350F
- Grease and flour 2 cookie sheets.
- Grate almonds, then measure 3/4 cup into a saucepan.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients.
- Cook over low heat until butter melts, stirring constantly. Batter is very thin.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet, only 5-6 at a time as batter will spread.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until a light caramel color, with centers still bubbly. Watch very carefully so as not to overbrown.
- Let cool for 1 minute, then immediately transfer, UPSIDE DOWN, to waxed paper.
- Working quickly, immediately roll each cookie quickly around the handle of a wooden spoon, forming a loose cylinder. If cookies start to harden, return to oven for 1 minute to soften.
- Allow to cool.