Reader’s Recipes: Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies are a perfect addition to your holiday cookie assortment!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 7 ounces semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup flour
- 0.25 tsp baking powder
- 0.25 tsp instant espresso powder
- 0.75 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp finely crushed peppermint candy
- very small drop red food coloring
- milk or cream to thin
- Set the oven to 375F
- Put the butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for one minute. Remove and stir to melt the chocolate. Heat a little bit more if needed. When the mixture is smooth, set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a stand mixer or with electric beaters until pale and thick. This will take several minutes.
- Add the slightly cooled chocolate to the eggs and sugar, and gently mix together. Blend in the vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and espresso powder and fold into the wet ingredients. Mix just until combined. Fold in the mini chips.
- Let the dough sit for about 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the dough with a rounded 1 inch scoop and put on a lined baking sheet. Keep the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, or until dry on top and starting to crackle. They will be puffed at first but will flatten as they cool. Let cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack.
- Fill the cookies with the peppermint filling when they are completely cooled.
- For the filling, mix the butter, sugar, crushed peppermint, and a very small drop of food coloring in a bowl until smooth, adding just a little milk or cream as you mix until you get a good frosting consistency. Spoon a little filling on the underside of one cookie and gently press another one on top.