Reader’s Recipes: Evelyn’s Christmas Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Evelyn's Christmas Cookies ~ easy little buttery jam thumbprint cookies perfect for the holidays!
makes 4 dozen cookies
- 0.5 lb unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 0.66666666666667 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (I used vanilla paste because I love the little specks)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 0.5 cup currant jelly (use any jam or jelly you like)
- Set oven to 375F
- Cream butter and sugar until very light in color.
- Add the egg yolks and continue beating until mixture is fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla; gradually add the flour.
- To form cookies, pat 1 tablespoon dough at a time into a 1-inch diameter ball and place on lightly greased baking sheet. (I used a 1 inch diameter scoop to portion out the dough) With fingertip, ;make an indentation in the top of each cookie. Spoon currant jelly into each indentation.
- Bake cookies on middle rack of oven for about 8 minutes, or until edges turn a light golden brown.