Reader’s Recipes: Oatmeal Crispies
The View From the Great Island
Oatmeal Crispies are a classic, homey, old fashioned cookie that is crisp on the outside, and chewy on the inside.
about 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs ((beaten))
- i tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 0.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- Set oven to 350F
- In a mixing bow, cream shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Flatten lightly with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. After cooling a couple of minutes, move to wire rack to cool.