Shaved Winter Vegetable Salad
The View From the Great Island
Shaved Winter Vegetable Salad ~ Delicate shaved rounds of winter root veggies are stacked and then lightly dressed with oil and a balsamic glaze.
- 1 small golden beet
- 1 small red beet
- 1 black radish
- 1 watermelon radish
- 1 orange carrot
- 1 purple rainbow carrot
- 4 small radishes
- 4 lettuce leaves, or one bunch of fresh dill
- olive oil ((divided))
- balsamic glaze, or pomegranate molasses
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Scrub the beets and the large radishes but do not peel. Trim the leafy stem end off and slice on the 1/8 inch setting of your mandolin. This may take a bit of trial and error to get the slices just right. You want them to be thin and almost translucent. Put the slices on a wet plate and cover with a wet kitchen towel while you work.
- Peel the carrots and slice them the same way. Be very careful of your fingers when you are doing this. Use the safety guard provided with your mandolin whenever possible.
- To assemble your salads, put a layer of dill or a leaf or two of lettuce on each of 4 small plates.
- Start with the largest rounds and layer the vegetables in a loose stack. Top with the smaller carrots.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve right away.