Spicy Basil Pesto
The View From the Great Island
Spicy Basil Pesto ~ Serrano pepper takes the world's freshest sauce from simple to sassy in one fell swoop ~ this zesty pesto will wow everybody!
makes approximately one cup of pesto
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 serrano pepper
- 0.25 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- a couple of good fistfuls of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- olive oil, start with 1/2 cup, add more as needed to make a loose sauce
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Drop the garlic clove into a food processor while it is running, and run the machine until the garlic is finely minced.
- Trim the stem off the hot pepper and slice it in chunks. Add it to the machine, seeds and all, while it is running, and wait until it is finely minced.
- Next add the pine nuts and Parmesan cheese and process until everything is smooth. Add the basil and lemon juice and pulse, scraping down the sides of the machine a few times, until the basil has broken down. Drizzle in the olive oil while processing. Process until the pesto is as smooth as you like. It can be chunky or smooth, it's your choice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add more olive oil if you want a looser pesto.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, and use within 10 days.