Sweet Vidalia Onion Slaw
The View From the Great Island
Sweet Vidalia Onion Slaw is a twist on the classic summer side, the famously mellow onions are sliced paper thin and tossed with a cool buttermilk dressing.
serves approximately 8 people
- 2 vidalia onions (or other sweet variety)
- buttermilk dressing
- 0.5 cup buttermilk
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp O Citrus Champagne Vi
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- 0.5 tsp salt
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper
- dill, parsley, thyme, or chive
- Peel and slice the onions into 1/8 inch slices. This is best done on a mandolin slicer. Cut the slices in half or thirds.
- Put the onions into a bowl, carefully separating the strands as you add them.
- Whisk together the dressing and be sure to taste to adjust any of the ingredients.
- Pour enough dressing over the onions to saturate them, but don't drown them. Toss well and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Garnish with just a bit of green before serving, it could be dill, thyme, parsley, or chive.