Whipped Kabocha Squash with Vanilla Bean and Nutmeg
The View From the Great Island
This Whipped Kabocha Squash recipe with Vanilla Bean and Nutmeg is a creamy and colorful side dish to bring some life to your holiday table!
- 1 kabocha squash, about 3 pounds
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup half and half (more as needed)
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- chopped chives
- set oven to 375F
- Pierce the skin of the squash with the tip of a sharp knife a few times and put on a baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes or until the flesh is soft when pierced with the tip of the sharp knife. Let cool slightly and then slice the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds, and then scoop out all the flesh with a large spoon.
- Put the kabocha in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the butter, half and half, vanilla seeds, and nutmeg. Process until completely smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and pulse to combine. Add more half and half if you'd like a thinner puree.
- Sppon the squash into a serving bowl and serve with more butter and snipped chives.